Many reasons cause roof leaking such as lack of maintenance, improper roof installation and wind or storm damage. Each roof material is different so is their longevity thus, it is essential to replace your roof in time.
A Leaky roof can cause severe damage Yes, this is true, but small roof leak is just a structural problem that is not true. It slowly leads to generating plenty of costly damage and create many more safety and health risks.
Here are some ways that can damage your home, if avoided:
- Attic and Ceiling Damage- A leaky roof in the house will initially damage the attic area and the items stored in it. When water enters the home through big size leaky roof, it starts damaging the interior ceiling first. You can expect the following damages-
- Darkening of ceiling paint
- Expanded or bubbled plaster
- Damaged plaster and paint of the nearby walls
- Moldy or damp smell in the attic
- Wood decay around skylights, dormer windows and in the attic
- Water spots on ceilings and walls
- Mold and Mildew Issues & Health Concerns- Mold and Mildew growth is another serious consequence of a leaking roof. Mold can spread throughout the home’s structure and can easily occupy your carpet, furniture and clothing.
- The worst part is that they are costly and difficult to clean, second, they can cause serious health issues including respiratory diseases, asthma attacks, pneumonia, migraines and headaches, rashes, allergic reactions, depression, digestive problems and much more. If you have mold growing in your attic, immediately call mold remediation professional so that you can completely and quickly get rid of this.
- Fire Hazard- Roof leak repairs should be done immediately when detected, because believe it or not, a leaky roof is the main cause of potential fire hazard. It can cause serious issues such as malfunction of the electrical wirings in the ceiling or attic, wire shorting and a live wire when comes in contact with water could pose a spark or ignite the materials around it. Make sure to turn off the electricity of an affected area and have an electrician examine it.
- Wasted Energy and Higher Utilities Bills- Constant water intrusion will eventually cause your cellulose or fiberglass insulation to become saturated, and it takes a long time for it to dry out. Don’t ignore roof leak repair for a long time as it will deplete the insulation significantly, which means your home will lose hot and cool air, resulting in higher utility bills.
- Compromised Structural Integrity- Other consequences of a leaking roof are ceiling joists, damaged rafters, wall framing, exterior trim, wood deterioration and much more. You may face expensive wood framing repairs if water gets down into ceiling joists and wall. All this is enough to worsen the situation make sure to seek professional help.
A Permanent solution to protect your house and to avoid all these troubles is to repair a leaky roof as soon as possible when the problem detected. Lookout for the professional, reliable and trusted or wherever you are located.